A couple years ago we lived near San Francisco for a summer and always loved going to Fisherman’s Wharf to get the sourdough bread bowls with clam chowder. So, when we were at Disneyland we decided to try their clam chowder to compare and it did not disappoint! We loved it so much that we decided to recreate it here and it was just as good at home!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 diced onion
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 (8 oz.) bottle clam juice
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 4 (6.5 oz.) cans chopped clams
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 6 sourdough bread bowls (optional)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the flour to make a roux (it will by thick). Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often, then set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the potatoes, onion, peppers and celery over medium heat until the potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, clam juice, clams, thyme, salt, pepper, and roux. Whisk until well combined.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, serve in bread bowls or with slices of sour dough bread
Supplies needed for this recipe:
Homemade Sweet & Sour Pork
Check out Getaway Today for the BEST price and service possible to make your vacation absolutely magical!
Use the promo code “FAMILYFOODFUN” to save even more when you are booking your trip through Getaway Today!