If you follow us on Instagram, you know we spent last week in Disneyland. I think I was as excited for all the food as I was the attractions! We made a reservation at The Blue Bayou for lunch one day to order the famous Monte Cristo Sandwich. The price was a little steeper than we typically pay for a sandwich and once we tried it we couldn’t wait to recreate it at home! It was so delicious! This recipe tastes exactly like the Monte Cristo in Disneyland and you can make a few of them for a fraction of the price!
- For the batter:
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- For the sandwiches:
- 8 slices Texas Toast (or thick white bread)
- 8 slices turkey breast
- 8 slices ham
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Strawberry jam, for dipping
- In a large pot or deep fryer, heat at least 1-inch of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all batter ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the sandwiches by layering a piece of swiss cheese, 2 slices of turkey, 2 slices of ham and another slice of swiss cheese between two pieces of bread.
- Place toothpicks in each corner of the sandwich.
- Dip the whole sandwich in the batter, covering completely.
- Fry the sandwich until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from oil and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Cut in half and serve with strawberry jam for dipping.
Supplies needed for this recipe:
(we used this electric cooker to fry our sandwiches and it was awesome!)
Check out some of our other Disneyland copycat recipes!
Planning a Disney trip?!
Check out Getaway Today for the BEST price and service possible to make your vacation absolutely magical!
Use the promo code “FAMILYFOODFUN” to save even more when you are booking your trip through Getaway Today!